What is a Food Pantry?
Food pantries provide food assistance directly to households and individuals.
Learn more about opening a food pantry here.
Why does the community need a food pantry?
In 2016 we officially launched, “Tokyo 2020: Food for 100,000.”
The goal was to create a food safety-net in time for the2020 Tokyo Olympics that would showcase to the world how we ensure people have enough food, and in a way that reflects the best of our culture.
By 2022 there were over 200 food pantries operating in the Greater Tokyo Area.
Expansion of food pantries
In 2016 we officially launched, “Tokyo2020: Food for 100,000.” The goal was to create a food safety-net in time for the Tokyo Olympics what would showcase to the world how we assure that people have enough food and in a way that reflects the best of our culture. By 2022 there were over 200 food pantries operating in the Greater Tokyo Area.
What food pantries can do
We believe food pantries contribute to building a food safety-net.
Regardless of their initial size, we hope they will grow to meet the needs in their community.
Food pantries need to practice safe food handling and have reliable storage space to maintain the trust of both donors and users.
Establishing a food pantry
- Transportation: It is necessary to have a reliable means to collect and transport food.
- Location: A secure location is necessary to store and distribute food
- Personnel: A pantry can be run by volunteers. A relatively small core group of core volunteers can oversee operations and guide new volunteers.
- Outreach: Work with local government agencies, NPOs, faith-based organizations, and community groups to reach those who could benefit from the pantry
- Equipment & Supplies: Each pantry is unique. Our suggestion is to start small and keep it simple.
You can see examples of organizations that have already opened food pantries. Please refer to them when considering opening a food pantry.
Contact us for more information
Contact us if you are interested in starting a food pantry or need food for your current operations.