【Press Release】 Increasing our food pick up service from twice to four times a week
July 5, 2017
Second Harvest Japan
We are increasing our food pick up service from twice to four times a week at the Asakusabashi office. This service is also extended to families in need during the school break when children have no access to school lunches.
Second Harvest Japan, Japan’s first food bank activity organization (its headquarter located in Taito-Ku, Tokyo. Hereafter, it is referred as 2hj), is expanding its Pantry Pick Up services to directly offer food to those in need. This increase in pick up days will allow twice as many people to receive our service, from 120 to 240 households weekly, that are currently served at the Asakusabashi office.
2hj estimates that over 2 million people in Japan are at risk of food insecurity. Our Food Pantry (literary means a place to store food, but in our definition, it is a place where food can be provided) is one of the places people can turn to when they struggle to have access to food. Unfortunately, public awareness about this type of activity remains low when compared to other countries. At 2hj, Pantry Pickups, providing food at the Food Pantry, otherwise known as Pantry Pickups, is done at the Asakusabashi office and other locations in Kunitachi City and Yashio City in Saitama Prefecture. 2hj also extends its services by sharing its acquired know-how in operation and food supplies to other NPOs and churches that are already involved or interested in offering similar services.
The number of Food Pantry users is on the rise as news of 2hj spreads by word of mouth and as it is more frequently mentioned by the municipal government. As our first step to respond to this growing demand, the Asakusabashi location was chosen to increase the number of pick up days as it already has a system in place able to accommodate this expansion in service. This allows the current Pantry Package users receiving food packages a greater access to food without having to wait for food between the Food Pantry service dates.
Additionally, in order to further assist single parents receiving child rearing allowance, since last April, the services can now be used up to 6 times a year by presenting a certificate of a child rearing allowance. This change allows greater flexibility to single parents in need.
We at 2hj continue to extend our Pantry Pickup activities while strengthening our partnership with the municipal government, the council of social welfare and NPO by establishing more pick up stations in the metropolitan Tokyo and other areas.
<Second Harvest Japan Pantry Pickup Station List>
- Asakusabashi Office (4-5-1 Asakusabashi, Taito-ward, Tokyo)
- Access: 5 min walk from Asakusabashi station of JR and Toei Asakusa line. 8 min walk from Akihabara station of JR, Hibiya line and Tsukubai Express
- Schedule: Every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 2PM~4PM
*Excluding holidays and the year end and new year holidays
- Saitama station (311-2 Ukizuzka, Yashio-city, Saitama Prefecture)
- Access: 15 min walk from the Rokucho-Eki station of Tsukuba Express or 15 min bus ride from Ayase-Eki station of JR and Tokyo Metro
- Schedule: Every Saturday 2PM~4PM
* Excluding holidays, Golden Week and the year end and new year holidays
- [Limited Time] Kunitachi Ginfu Kobo (302 3F, Shinwa Daiichi Building, 1-18-8 Higashi, Kunitachi-city, Tokyo)
- Access: 5 min walk from the south exit of Kunitachi station
- Schedule: Every Monday 12PM~2PM until the end of September 2017
*Excluding holidays and the Obon holiday (August 14, 2017)
<Instructions on Pantry Pickups>
- An ID and a large bag(s) to put the food you receive are needed at all locations. (We recommend a luggage on wheels such as a travel suitcase)
- If you receive a child rearing allowance, please bring the certificate with you.
- You can use the service without referral if it is your first time receiving this service.
- From your second visit and onwards, a referral is needed from organizations that our office affiliates with, the municipal government offices in your area, the council for the social welfare and NPO.
- We would be happy to introduce you to the organizations we affiliate with during your first visit with us.
- We are unable to take requests for specific food items as all the food we provide are given as gifts.
- Euroclear Bank Japan Branch designates 2HJ as Community Charity Partner
- Corporate volunteers help Care Packages to Western Japan Landslides & Flooding victims
- Winter Holidays Schedule
- Progress report on relief work to support people affected by torrential rain in western Japan
- Donate A Photo — Please help 2HJ with J&J App
- Christmas in July
- Kspace Charity Picnic Raised close to ¥1M for 2HJ!
- Winter Holidays Schedule
- Hulic Co., Ltd. has selected 2HJ as a matching gifts partner!
- December 2018 (3)
- September 2018 (1)
- August 2018 (1)
- June 2018 (1)
- May 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (5)
- August 2017 (3)
- July 2017 (1)
- April 2017 (1)
- December 2016 (1)
- November 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (1)
- May 2016 (1)
- April 2016 (2)
- November 2015 (1)
- July 2015 (1)
- May 2015 (1)
- September 2014 (1)
- August 2014 (2)
- June 2014 (1)
- May 2014 (1)
- April 2014 (1)
- March 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (2)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- October 2013 (1)
- September 2013 (1)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (17)
- June 2013 (11)
- May 2013 (11)
- April 2013 (7)
- March 2013 (9)
- February 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (1)